About Our Services
Education Services Closed June 2012
ITS leadership recently made the difficult decision to close Education Services at the end of FY 2012. Education Services has been a long-time, instructor-led software training solution for U-M faculty, staff, and students.
The decision to discontinue the service as we know it today is a financial one. It has been running at a deficit for a number of years.
- With enrollment declining and online training and free/lower cost application training opportunities increasing, ITS is unable to balance the loss of revenue with the overhead costs needed to run the service.
- Quality of service was not a factor in this decision. Workshop evaluations have been consistently excellent through the years.
ITS is committed to easing the burden of this closure and exploring alternative training opportunities for those who have come to rely on us.
- Current workshops through the end of the fiscal year and specially-arranged unit workshops (some of which occur in FY13) will be held as scheduled.
- Stay tuned to this site for some interim referral-based options beginning in FY13.
- Work is underway to develop a long-term strategic model that includes efforts to better understand campus training needs and to assemble recommendations for future support. We will confer with campus representatives and other universities, and apply our knowledge about learning trends and best practices to address IT training needs.
Note: Current no-charge learning solutions for ITS services and applications provided through My LINC and instructor-led venues are not affected by this closure (e.g. administrative services eLearning, Google).