ITS General Computing

Standard Computing Services FAQ

Show All Answers

What are the standard computing services, and who gets them?

The standard computing services include a uniqname and UMICH password, a U-M Google account, electronic file storage, a profile in the MCommunity Directory, help from the ITS Service Center, and more. See Standard Computing Services for details. The services are provided by Information and Technology Services at no charge to those who are eligible for them.

Those eligible to receive the services include Ann Arbor U-M students who are listed by their department as "Active in Program," faculty (including emeritus faculty), and staff. Sponsored affiliates, retirees, and alumni receive some services. See Getting a Uniqname, MCommunity Directory Profile, and Computing Services for more. Questions about eligibility can be directed to the ITS Service Center.

Can I use my standard computing services over the summer and between terms?

Yes, you can continue to use standard computing services between terms. Students will continue to receive the standard computing services as long as their department lists them as "Active in Program." See Standard Computing Services for details.

Can I use my standard computing services after I graduate, retire, or leave U-M?

Alumni and retirees keep use of some services. Those with no remaining U-M affiliation lose access after a grace period, except for sponsored affiliates, who lose all access when their sponsorship expires. For details, see What Happens to Your Uniqname, Directory Profile, and Computing Services After You Leave U-M.

How do students, faculty, and staff pay for extra printing and AFS space?

Students who use additional ITS computing services, such as extra printing and AFS space, beyond those in the standard computing services will have the charges billed directly to their university Student Account. (This is the same account through which tuition and other fees are billed.) These charges will appear as "Additional computing services."

In a few cases, departments may opt to pay for some of these services. Graduate students who have additional computing needs related to research, course instruction, or thesis preparation should check with their department to see if funds are available.

Faculty and staff who use computing services from Information and Technology Services (ITS) beyond those in the standard computing services may be able to have the charges billed to a departmental shortcode. You should first check with your departmental administrator.

The ITS Service Center staff can answer questions concerning billing for ITS computing services.

My question about the standard computing services isn't in this list. Who can I ask for help?

The ITS Service Center can answer your questions about the standard computing services.

These services are available only to those with a current University of Michigan affiliation.