ITS General Computing

System Administration and Configuration FAQ

For more information, see the section of the ITS website for IT staff.

Show All Answers

What are the email lists or groups or other communities I can join to stay informed about campus IT issues?

Here are some of the groups you can join. If your group or community is not listed here and you would like it to be, please let us know about it so we can add it.

What is the NTP (Network Time Protocol) server address?

The NTP (Network Time Protocol) server address for the University of Michigan is

What is the LDAP server address?

We recommend that you use the MCommunity LDAP server:

For reference, see LDAP Access to the MCommunity Directory.

The U-M Online Directory LDAP server ( reamins available for legacy use.

How do I find the UID of a uniqname?

Do an LDAP query of the MCommunity Directory LDAP Tree ( for the uidNumber attribute assocated with the uniqname. See LDAP Access to the MCommunity Directory.

How do I get Kerberos keytab?

Send your request to

When you no longer need your keytab, please alert the keytabs group so the unneeded keytab can be expired.

What are the names and port numbers of the Kerberos servers?

Here are the names and port numbers to use for the U-M Kerberos servers provided and maintained by ITS:


Kerberos Servers:

Kerberos Admin Server:

What are the names and IP addresses of the AFS database servers? How do I format this information for the CellServDB file?

Here are the names and IP addresses to use for the U-M AFS database servers provided and maintained by ITS:

AFS Cell:

AFS Database Servers:

The actual formatted data that would reside in the CellServDB file:

> # University of Michigan - Campus

AFSDB domain name service records are set up for the cell and can be used instead if you prefer.

For further assistance with configuration issues related to AFS, send email to

What are the DNS (Domain Name Service) addresses for U-M?

The DNS (Domain Name System) resolver addresses that should be configured in clients and servers on the University of Michigan campus are and

(Note that these are NOT the same as the authoritative DNS servers— and—which are used for NS record domain delegations and should not be used as resolvers.)

For information about DNS, see Campus DNS and DHCP Services.

Who do I contact for Domain Name Registration?

Names that End in

Third-Party Top-Level Domains (names that do not end in

Faculty and staff who need to register third-party top-level domain names for University of Michigan can send a request to The ITS DNS Domain Name Registration group can register names in these domains and more: .org, .net, .com, .info, and .us. Note that there is a small per-year fee for such registration and that departmental approval is required. Payment must be made using a university account number (ShortCode).

How do I arrange to use the campus DHCP service?

DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) is a service that allows machines to get their IP addresses and other information assigned by the network rather than having this done manually by a person. Basically, it allows a network administrator to attach a computer to a U-M network and then have that computer figure out its own configuration for connecting to the Internet automatically. This DHCP service is available for any school or department network on campus. It is considered part of the campus computing infrastructure and is free of charge.

My question about system administration and configuration isn't in this list. Who can I ask for help?

The ITS Service Center can answer your questions about system administration and configuration.

These services are available to members of the University of Michigan community only.