ITS General Computing

Publishing on the Web FAQ

Show All Answers

How can I create and publish a web page?

See the Create Your Own U-M Web Page instructions for the steps to create personal websites in Andrew File Storage(AFS).

U-M alternatives for creating personal websites are Google Sites, CTools and department-hosted sites.

Also see:

Visit Technical Training at U-M for workshops, documentation and support.

Where can I learn HTML?

HTML (Hypertext Mark-Up Language) is used to create web pages. Visit Technical Training at U-M for workshops, documentation and support.

Another resource is the Knowledge Navigation Center at U-M's Graduate Library. The center offers one-on-one instruction for people just starting out at making websites.

There are also lots of resources on the web you can check out. Just one example is the W3Schools HTML Tutorial.

Where can I get graphics to use on my web pages?

There are lots of other graphics and clip art archives on the web. Just be sure the graphics are copyright-free. To find such art, do a web search using keywords such as:

How can I tell how many people are visiting my web page?

There are two ways you can see how many hits your web page in AFS is getting. These two methods only work if your pages are served by either the U-M personal web server or the main U-M web server. Pages served by these servers have URLs that begin with either of the text strings below:

Here are the ways to check:

If your page is served by another web server, contact the administrator of that machine to find out your options.

What CGI programs can I use?

CGI (Common Gateway Interface) programs or scripts run on a web server and let people whose pages are served by that server do some cool things, such as put a counter on a page to monitor how many hits it gets. See CGI Scripts on to find out about the CGI options available on the U-M web servers (both the main server and the one that serves personal web pages for U-M students, faculty and staff). Instructions for using those programs are also provided.

If your web page is served by a web server other than, you will need to check with the server's administrator to find out what CGI programs are available on that machine.

How can I restrict access to my web pages?

Use the privacy control options in Google Sites or CTools. U-M students, faculty and staff who already created personal webpage in AFS can refer to the following:

Can I use the university seal on my web page?

In most cases, no. The primary purpose of the university seal is to certify official university documents, including diplomas, certificates and official acts by the Board of Regents. The seal should be used primarily for regental and presidential purposes only.

All final authority for the use of the university seal resides in the Office of the Vice President and Secretary of the University of Michigan (

For more about using the university seal, U-M wordmark, and other registered marks of the university, see the Registered Marks section of the U-M Identity Guidelines.

Can I keep my web home page after I leave U-M?

Individuals who leave the university and lose eligibility for standard computing services may need to transfer copies of those pages elsewhere as part of closing out their U-M computing services.

The ITS Service Center can answer your questions about the use of the web at U-M.

These services are available to members of the University of Michigan community only.