ITS General Computing

Frequently Asked Questions
about ITS Services for U-M Staff Retirees

ITS offers U-M Retirees many ways to stay connected.

What U-M computing services can I get free of charge?

As a staff retiree, you can continue to use U-M Google for email and more, along with the uniqname, password and directory profile you used while you were employed by the university. If you use U-M Box, your U-M Box account will be converted to a personal Box account. If you do not have a uniqname, password and directory profile and would like a free U-M Google account, please contact the ITS Service Center.

Why would I want to use these services? Why is the university providing these services?

Now that many U-M services—such as benefits—are online, the university wants to make it easy for all retirees to take advantage of them. This includes things like managing your retirement benefits and contacting university departments by email. You can use your U-M Google email, calendar, and more to stay in touch with former colleagues, friends and family and for whatever other personal uses you may have.

Do these services have an expiration date?

No. You may use these services for life.

What are my options for getting connected to the Internet?

There are many options available to you. If you are interested in high-speed internet connectivity, you should contact a commercial provider like Comcast, AT&T, etc. Learn more about high-speed connectivity by reviewing our High-Speed Internet Service Options. Or, you may want to consider using a public internet connection (these are sometimes free) such as those provided in many community libraries or coffeehouses.

You'll be able to use your free mailbox and other ITS services for life.

Can I still call the ITS Service Center (4-HELP) if I have computing problems?

Yes, you can call 4-HELP or contact the ITS Service Center in other ways for assistance in accessing U-M Google Apps, managing your MCommunity Directory profile, or if you have other questions related to using U-M computing services.

Can I still make purchases at the Computer Showcase?

Only current, permanent, and emeritus U-M faculty and staff are eligible to purchase hardware, software, and other supplies at the Computer Showcase. Everyone is eligible to use the consulting services available at the Showcase.

You can have email redirected to any email account you choose.

I have another email box through another service provider. Can I direct my mail there?

Yes, you can have the email that is sent to you at address redirected to any email account you choose. See Forwarding or Redirecting Your U-M email Using the MCommunity Directory and follow the instructions for redirecting your mail. Remember to update the redirect address every time you change your email address so that it remains current.

Can I create groups in the MCommunity Directory or continue to own groups there?

Yes. You can log in to the MCommunity Directory your uniqname and password to create and manage groups that you own.

Stay in touch with your U-M friends and colleagues.

Will my profile remain in the MCommunity Directory?

Yes, and you can make changes to it anytime you wish. For example, you might indicate how you want people to contact you in the Notice part of your profile. See Managing Your Profile in the MCommunity Directory for instructions.

Can I use the Campus Computing Sites to access my email or do other computing?

You are eligible to use the workstations in the Campus Computing Sites as seats are available. However, we encourage you to use locations other than the Angell Hall Courtyard site, which is heavily used by students during the academic year, particularly at exam time.

I retired but have returned to work as a temporary employee. What happens to my U-M computing services?

If you return to the university as a temporary employee, your department may provide you with computing services in addition to your U-M Google Apps account. These services might be operated within the department itself, or they may request additional computing services for you from ITS.

The department and the ITS Service Center need to work together to make sure your computing services are not disrupted. If you have any questions about your specific situation, please contact the ITS Service Center.

« U-M Staff Retiree Information