This page provides information about known Box accessibility barriers and work-arounds, and will be updated regularly. If you have any questions, please contact the ITS Service Center at 4HELP@umich.edu or 764-4357.
At present, the most accessible way to use Box is via the a.box.com website. This site contains many key Box features, and works well on mobile devices. It also contains a link to the standard Box site.
It's currently possible to use a.box.com to perform the following functions:
- Log in (using your U-M email address and Kerberos password)
- Sign up (if you wish to have a private Box account in addition to the one furnished by U-M)
- Browse files and folders
- Download files
- Upload files
- Add a new folder
- Share files
- Search files
- Rename a selected file or folder
- Delete a selected file or folder
- Add comments to files
- Enable shared links for files
- Access Box Notes for real-time collaboration
- Use the Settings link to:
- See how much storage space you have and how much you are using
- Modify your primary and linked email addresses
- Set preferences for time zone and languages
- Go to the full box.com site
Note that once you go to the full box.com site, there is not currently a link to return you directly to a.box.com. However, if you re-enter a.box.com in your address bar, you will go back to the accessible version; this had been a problem but has been fixed.
As Box continues to improve their offerings, additional features are expected to be provided in an accessible form, and this page will be updated accordingly.
Known Accessibility Issues
Indiana University performed an accessibility review of a.box.com in 2015 and found the following issues:
- Several key features, including the following, are present in the main version of box.com but are missing from a.box.com:
- Access to "Shared Links" account settings
- Access to individual folder security settings
- Ability to upload, download, move, copy, or delete multiple files/folders or the entire contents of a folder at a time
- Ability to change notification preferences
- Ability to accept or decline share invites
- Some key features in a.box.com, including the following, are not fully accessible:
- File Preview is not accessible, and many steps are required to bypass it and download a document.
- The setup function for Box Sync apps is not accessible.
Some keyboard shortcuts are supported for the full box.com site. These primarily refer to functions that are not currently supported through a.box.com. The shortcuts for functions that are supported do not appear to work within a.box.com.