Integrate U-M Box Using Apps
Apps connect your U-M Box data with other applications and services. While all Box apps are available from your U-M Box account, only the Official Box Apps are considered U-M Core Apps and are approved for use with University data under the contract between Box and the University of Michigan.
For instructions on installing an app, please the the Box Apps Overview and FAQ. Please note that system administrator level access is required to install some apps.
The Sensitive Regulated Data Standard provides information on the data types that may be used with U-M Box core apps. Non-core apps should not be used for any type of regulated sensitive data.
Some apps will require an "external password." This means that the app does not support single sign-on and will require an additional password when accessed.
For security reasons, your external password should not be the same as your UMICH password
To create an external password:
- Log into your U-M Box account.
- In the top navigation area, select the Gear icon next to your name, then Account Settings.
- On the Account tab under Create External Password, enter a new password in the New Password field and Confirm Password field. For a strong password, and to avoid a future forced change, use the following strength criteria:
- Requires at least 8 characters
- Requires at least one number
- Requires at least one uppercase letter
- Prevent common words/email address as password
- Click Save
- Your external password has now been set and may be used to log into apps.
Protect your external password as you would your UMICH password or other passwords you set for personal accounts.
Box Edit makes it easy to create and edit content directly on Box using the native applications installed on your computer. If you can edit it on your desktop, you can edit it on Box. A Box Edit install is automatically triggered by clicking the Edit button when previewing a file.
More information on Box Edit
Box for Office
Box for Office is a free add-on that helps bring U-M Box to your Word, Excel, and PowerPoint files. Easily open, edit, save, and share using U-M Box from within Office programs.
Box Sync is a tool that allows you to sync files from your desktop to your U-M Box account. Box Sync is intended to be used for folders containing files actively in use. We recommend that you only sync folders that you will need to access when you do not have access to the Internet.
You will see Box Sync as an option under the Mobile and Sync tab in Account Settings. Follow these steps to get started:
- Download the Box Sync Desktop Client for a supported operating system.
- Run the Box Sync Installation wizard to install Box Sync on your computer.
- Follow the prompts in the wizard. When prompted for your login information, enter your U-M email address (email@example.com) in the Email field and select Use my company's single sign-on credentials.
- Once the install is complete, drag and drop files into the My Box Files folder to automatically sync them with your Box account.
- From your U-M Box account, right click on any folder and select Sync Folder to sync with your desktop.
5 Things You Need to Know About Box Sync
More on using Box Sync
MPrint allows you to print from U-M Box directly to any MPrint-connected campus printer. In order to utilize MPrint services through the U-M Box service, the two accounts need to be connected through a one-time setup process. MPrint requires an external password to connect.
U-M Box can be added to any CTools course or project site. Though users see Box in a CTools window, the cloud-based storage is external. You can add U-M Box to a course or project site while the site is being created or once it has been established.
To add U-M Box to a site has already been created:
- Navigate to the CTools site to which you would like to add U-M Box.
- Click the Site Info tool along the left menubar.
- Click Edit Tools along the top of the window.
- In the list that opens, add a checkmark next to the U-M Box tool.
- Click Continue.
- Click Finish.
- Refresh your browser window. U-M Box will appear in the left-hand menubar
- Click the new link to open U-M Box in the main window.
- Click Open U-M Box to view your individual Box account in the CTools window.
To add U-M Box while you are creating a site, follow steps 4-6 when choosing new tools for your site.
Box partners with many third parties to extend the utility of your files stored in Box. Keep in mind that these third party apps may not be used to share or maintain any of the university's sensitive data.
More information on Box Apps