ITS General Computing

Managing Your Digital Files and Information When You Leave U-M

If you are leaving the university, you will lose access to some or all of your computing services depending on your university affiliation(s). See What Happens to Your Uniqname, Directory Profile, and Computing Services After You Leave U-M for details.

If you will lose access to U-M computing services, here is information to help you transition files, messages, and other digital data that you want to keep. You may want to delete those things you no longer need. Address

As long as you have a profile in the MCommunity Directory, your email address will continue to work. If you no longer use a U-M email service, you can have your email forwarded to another address(es).

U-M Google Apps

You will continue to have access to your U-M Google Apps account as long as you have a university affiliation listed in your profile in the MCommunity Directory.

If you are no longer affiliated with U-M, you will lose access to U-M Google Apps. You will receive an email notice 30 days before your access will end. Export, save, or forward messages, documents, and other data that you wish to keep from your U-M Google Apps account.

If you own Google Docs that are needed for the work of the university, transfer ownership of them, and of any other such information stored in a U-M Google App, to a shared U-M account or a colleague so the information will remain accessible after you leave. For instructions, see Shared Accounts in U-M Box and U-M Google.

U-M Box

U-M Box is provided to faculty, staff, students, and sponsored affiliates. Alumni and retirees can keep using their accounts for now with a reduced storage limit of 50 GB. Employees whose U-M employment ends lose access. If you are to lose access, you will receive an email notice 30 days before your access will end. Be sure to download any personal files you wish to keep. If you have folders and/or files used for U-M business, move them to a university shared account or transfer ownership to a university employee.

For more information, see Box: Accounts for People Who Leave U-M.

Your AFS Space

If you have files in your AFS space that you want to keep, please download copies to your computer. There are several ways to download your files.

If you have a website. If you have a personal website for which the pages are stored in AFS, please be aware that your website will no longer be published when your AFS directory is removed from the system. If you want to keep your site, you will need to arrange for a new web host and transfer your files. If you will maintain your U-M Google account, you can use Google Sites.

Your Directory Groups

Delete Obsolete Groups to Reduce Spam

If you own groups in the MCommunity Directory that are no longer needed, please delete them before you leave. If you don't, the unfortunate members of those groups are likely to continue to receive spam through them.

Transfer Ownership for Groups that Are Needed by Others

If a group you own is needed by people at U-M, please make someone who is still at the university is an owner of that group. Do this by making changes to your group so as to add the new owner(s) and remove yourself as owner.

Request Membership in Groups You Want to Stay in

Even if you no longer have a uniqname, you can be a member of MCommunity groups that are not work-related. Contact the group's owners and ask that you be added as a member using your external email address.

Group Websites

If you maintain a website for a student organization, a university program, or anything else associated with the university that must continue after you leave U-M, please assign the appropriate AFS permissions for the new people who will maintain the website.

Instructions are provided in this documentation:

Getting Help

For help with your ITS computing services, contact the ITS Service Center at 764-HELP (734-764-4357) or